When (and when not) to use Participatory Video
- When shouldn’t you use PV?
- What is PV for?
- What theories of change underpin PV practice?
- What are the longer-run effects of participatory video processes?
Monitoring & Evaluation of Participatory Video
- What are good ways of keeping track of what’s going on in a PV process?
- How can we understand the long-term impacts and outcomes of participatory video processes and to what extent can/should they be disentangled from other contributing factors?
- How can one keep an eye on outcomes?
- There are a wide range of participatory and non-participatory MEAL techniques available for use by participatory video practitioners, so what are the examples of projects that have applied a rigorous MEAL framework to the process and its outcomes?
- What are the likely implications for not sufficiently evaluating the impacts and outcomes of participatory video processes?
Ownership & Control
- How can the rhetoric of participant ownership of media become a reality?
- How can community and individual ownership of contributions be reconciled?
- How can long-term control be established for participants (owners) beyond sharing organisational/personal contact details for those in position of ‘guardians’ of that content?
- How can the aspirations of participants after a project be supported (in particular in relation to more work of this kind)
- How is a PV practice resourced and supported (organisational forms, funding, community animation etc.)?
- How can we sustain a living, functioning international community of practitioners?
Participant recruitment and selection
- Who participates?
- When is it appropriate to focus on particular groups and exclude others?
- How to extend opportunities for participation to the most marginalised, the truly unheard voices within a community?
- How to convene a group that is genuinely ‘representative’ of the wider community. Is it enough to look for groups that reflects the ethnic, age, experience, gender, education, socio-economic, physical/social abilities etc. of that community?